I think I found the Problem with Android

I think I found the Problem with Android

Postby pedrojsoria » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi,

After playing around with pd-extended, Paddy and TouchOSC on both an IPhone and an Android tablet, I think that I have found the problem when trying to make Paddy working with an Android device.

My System is Windows 7 64 bits based and running Lightroom 5.3 64 bits.

For the tests, I have built a simple interface with just the connect button and a slider for changing the exposure. I have made the next connections with the following results:

-Iphone to Paddy: Working properly in both directions. Iphone updates Lightroom and Lightroom updates Paddy.
-Android to Paddy: Working properly in just one direction. Android updates Lightroom properly but strange things happens when paddy is sending messages to Android. If input port is disabled in Android, then is working perfectly but obviously the Android System is not being updated.
-Iphone to Android: Working properly in both directions. Iphone updates Android and Android updates Iphone.
-Iphone to pd-extended: Working properly in both directions. pd receives the right messages from Iphone and Iphone is updated according to sent messages. Same messages were observed in both Android and Iphone.
-Android to pd-extended: Working properly in both directions. pd receives the right messages from Android and Android is updated according to sent messages. Same messages were observed in both Android and Iphone.
-Paddy to pd-extended: Working properly in just one direction. pd-extended updates Lightroom properly but, when Lightroom is sending messages, the next message is gotten in pd-extended: osc: /Paddy/Lightroom/slidernumber/5 [A 64-bit float] not implemented.

From this, I think that the cause of the wrong working of Paddy with Android is not because of the Android version of TouchOSC, but a problem of variable type. It seems that Paddy is sending a 64 bits float (I do not know the difference with a double). the Iphone is understanding it, but not the Android. It seems that solving this can be as simple as casting values to a double or to a single 32bits float in the right place.

Please help me to solve this. I do not know the code nor have access to the last version. I also do not know the languages. Could anybody be so kind of make the change and recompile? I think that is a minor work for solving one of the most asked features.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Pedro
pedrojsoria

Return to Technical solutions and source code discussion